When you come to the 40-year stage in your life, you will suddenly realize many things. You get to ask yourself questions. How will it be when I get to the end of my life? How do I feel about the life I lived?
Here are ten shifts in perspective that can help you move your life to the next level.
These will assist you in breaking through your own glass
ceiling to create the life you really want.
1. Give yourself permission to dream. You probably had no problem dreaming as a kid. What happened to your ability to imagine and dream about what you want and who you want to be? When was the last time you caught yourself daydreaming and appreciated it?
2. Stop looking outside yourself for happiness. Look inside. Increase your self-awareness. Get curious about who you are at the core.
Cultivate and nurture a relationship with yourself.
3. Cover the basics. Take the time to address your personal needs. How can you focus on thriving in your life if you are in survival mode? Set up that meeting with a financial advisor, get your space decluttered and organized, clean up the details that are wasting your energy.
4. Embrace your past and move on. Shift from 'why it happened' to what I want to do about it now. Asking 'why' is not a very empowering question. Asking what or how I want to proceed can be much more powerful and produce forward movement and momentum.
5. Remember that you are not alone. It is easy to feel overwhelmed with life. Seek support. Read more self-improvement articles. They might help you figure out some things that are puzzling you.
6. Remember gratitude. Count your blessings. What is working right in your life? Make a list. Set aside a bit of time everyday to acknowledge what or who you are grateful for. The more you practice gratitude, the more you attract into your life people and things to be grateful for.
7. Court your passion. Though it has been a while since you may have felt it, you still have your passions. When are you the most alive and joyful in your life? Who do you most admire and what do they inspire in you?
8. Take action and take a risk. All the inspiration in the world is not enough to make you move your life to the next level. It takes inspired action and a plan to do that.
9. Keep breathing. You probably forget to take slow, deep full breaths. We have all learned to constrict our breathing in response to stress. We not only need oxygen to stay alive, we need oxygen to give us energy and keep us healthy. Right now take 5 deep, full breaths.
10. Have fun. Call a friend, take a bubble bath, take yourself to an art museum or schedule a whole day out in nature. Put on some great music and dance!
And you thought this was just one of those self improvement articles.